Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Autobiography of Mrs Tom Thumb

I enjoyed this book very much indeed

The author is Melanie Benjamin.


The story is about Mercy Lavinia Bump - I was delighted to read in the afterword by the author that this was a fictionalized account of a real person who existed and had a form of proportionate dwarfism




In this story she  defies  the predicted path that had been laid out for her -

As a person of small stature - her family eleives she should stay at home under their protection

But  she defies this

She becomes famous not inspite of her size, but because of it

As the mother of a child with autism - I have always known that where there are differences - its always better to make the most of them than try to blend

And for this reason I loved this story and the character

I had some sorrow in accepting her lack of love for her husband General Tom Thumb - but that is only because I am the sort of person that does love a happy ending

Not just in



No comments:

Post a Comment