Tuesday, November 1, 2011

After the Fall

I enjoyed this book by Kylie Ladd

After the Fall is a story about adultery and about those that step outside the bounds of marriage

I have never really understood the concept of adultery after marriage if one is happy with the marriage.

To me, there seems too much at stake- once you are married and if you believe that physical aspect will wane ( as I believe it always does ) there seems no sense once one is married for an upheaval( as the two protagonists - Luke and Kate are )

But even while ensconced in perfect marriages - they are unfaithful to their respective partners

They appear motivated by and enamored by the irresistible passion ( i think for some people the concept of not being able to resist is a drug in and of itself )

Each short chapter is written in the voice of each of the main characters and as I adore seeing things through the eyes of another - I really truly enjoyed this book

The writer is a psychologist by profession and this adds an extra depth to the characters

I found Kate and Luke to be self absorbed. Cressida is obsessed with her career. Steven is the only one I truly felt sorry for

I recommended this book to a friend who had a different experience - he found it very superficial - Each character a cliche

He wrote to me
"Characters were a bit too stereotypical- player golden boy, who is superficial and unfeeling and works in advertising. Serious wife, super busy and crying for cancer ridden children. Cuckolded husband, too staid and steady, cowboyish calmness and silent type. Only interesting part was Kate's feeling that she perhaps loved them both and perhaps loved Luke more."
He also pointed out something that I had not noticed - the huge role that chance plays - in the way the story concludes






No comments:

Post a Comment