Saturday, March 24, 2012

Eye contact by Cammie McGovern

Oh how I loved this book

I read it in one big gulp

Cammie McGovern is just amazing - I read several of her articles on autism parenting

I started with one called "Accepting Ethan"


Here is Suzanne Amara's review from Amazon
"
This review is from: Eye Contact (Hardcover)
I found the portrayals of children with autism, PDD, Aspergers (although it's not named as such here), ODD and so on to be dead on in this novel---they were shown in a very realistic way, not as savants or fascinating puzzles or any of the ways they are often shown in books and the media. It was so nice to be able to read a book and see kids like the ones I know so well, in my family and at their school!


The plot, however, was a lot weaker. I think it would have been better had a lot less elements found their way into it! The side stories about Keven and Suzette just were a little much to take in, and there were even more minor plot events than those thrown in---side romances, family tensions from the past and so on. The central story of a girl's murder would have been enough to keep this compelling. There were more fake endings than a bad TV mystery---you could also tell it wasn't over after a while because there was so much more book to read! Also, the woods where the murder took place had an amazing amount of action on the day of the murder---they sound more like a busy street than a wooded area.


These are all fairly minor quibbles, however. I read the book eagerly through to the end, and would recommend it to both those with an interest in autism and those who like to read a puzzling mystery.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment