Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Born on a Blue Day

Daniel Tammet is AMAZING

There are so many things that are great about him

His ability to translate his experience, his beautiful mind and his great kindness

I found  so many things that the author writes fascinating , example he talks about  synesthesia

I always say SPD is the heart of autism

But I am struck by how difficult it will be to teach a child who literally does not see thnings the same way
The author writes that he sees numbers like colors 

and that the way we teach addition in school is very difficult for him 

Though when allowed to do things his own way - he imagines the two numbers like shapes and then they combine together to form a different shape

I always say that my son is "different not less"

But books like this show me what that really really means 

1 comment:

  1. I like your new blog. I don't seem to be able to make the time to read as much as I should. But your interests overlap considerably with mine so I will be very interested to get your thoughts.

    My wife reads more, and she often fills me in. She's read Born on a Blue Day and My Stroke of Insight, and I subsequently did read Daniel Tammet's book (and still need to read the other). We felt like Tammet helped give us a little understanding for how our son may experience the world. Since we can't experience it the same way, it is great to have someone so articulate describe it for us.

    ReplyDelete